latte: What's Hot at LATimes.com 2.21

LATTE - What's Hot at LATimes.com.
Tuesday, December 30, 1997      Vol. 2, Issue 21
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/LATTE/?MAIL >

For the fastest Net connection in your home, MediaOne Express
is here. 50X faster. 50%off. http://www.latimes.com/mediaone-t

The staff here would like to thank you for giving us
a fabulous year. We've got exciting plans for 1998,
so be sure to come back often! Happy Holidays!

======================
IN THIS ISSUE:
======================

WHAT'S NEW
 Report - Despite scientific marvels, millions starve to death.
 Sports - New team pages offer great coverage of Lakers and Clippers.
 Report - One man's long recovery from traumatic burns.

BUSINESS
 Columnists - Get insight into financial news with our columnists.
 Times 100 - Ranking California's top companies.

ENTERTAINMENT
 Getty Center - We've added a quiz, a survey and interactive maps.
 MetaHollywood - Holiday films now resemble summer blockbusters.
 Pop Top 10 - Times critics rank their favorites in music.

FUN
 Punch Lines - Start your day with a good laugh (or a bad pun).
 Movie Reviews - Before you spend your money, check with us.

RESEARCH
 Archives - Miss a story? Look it up online.

======================
WHAT'S NEW
======================

SPECIAL REPORT
The Coexistence of Feast and Famine
Despite scientific marvels, millions starve to death.
War, politics are often culprits.
< http://www.latimes.com/hunger/?MAIL >

SPORTS
We cover the Lakers and the Clippers better than anyone else.
Check out our redesigned team pages for the latest game stories,
photos, game schedule, and join our rowdy bulletin boards.
< http://www.latimes.com/lakers/?MAIL >
< http://www.latimes.com/clippers/?MAIL >

AFTER THE BURN
When Todd Robinson was critically scalded in an industrial
accident, he and his family began a journey into the unknown.
A 4-part serial.
< http://www.latimes.com/burn/?MAIL >

======================
BUSINESS
======================

COLUMNISTS
The Times brings you the most recent columns by James Flanigan,
Tom Petruno and a host of other writers on topics from the
entertainment industry to getting the most out of your Mac.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/BUSINESS/columns.htm?MAIL >

TIMES 100
Did you miss The Times 100, our 10th annual survey of publicly
held companies in California? We ranked the firms by financial
performance in more than a dozen categories.
< http://www.latimes.com/times100/?MAIL >

======================
ENTERTAINMENT
======================

GETTY CENTER
We've added to our online report with a quiz, a survey,
interactive maps and additional details about the
technology and shows inside and around the center.
< http://www.latimes.com/getty/?MAIL >

METAHOLLYWOOD
Holiday films increasingly resemble summer blockbusters, so laden
are they with effects. Tune in Friday for a look at "Titanic,"
James Cameron's epic creation.
< http://www.latimes.com/metahollywood/?MAIL >

POP TOP 10
In 1997, the real songwriters stood out and British Invasion II
was in full swing. Check out our critics' picks, listen to
album samples and post your favorites.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ENT/MUSIC/POPTOP10/?MAIL >

======================
FUN
======================

MOVIE REVIEWS
You can find the following movie reviews at
< http://www.latimes.com/movie.reviews/?MAIL >.

o The Apostle
o As Good as It Gets
o Guy
o Mouse Hunt
o Other Voices, Other Rooms
o Shoah
o Titanic
o Tomorrow Never Dies
o Will It Snow for Christmas?

PUNCH LINES
These jokes and more are available daily at
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ENT/LAUGHS/?MAIL >

* There's Also a Nike Swoosh on the Life Jackets: The film
  "Titanic" is based on the true story of an ocean liner that
  hit an iceberg in 1912. But some details have been altered.
  "Kato Kaelin plays a stowaway who hears one loud thump while
  asleep in the hull." (Argus Hamilton)
* Titanic II: 20th Century Fox is selling props from "Titanic"
  to offset its $200-million cost. "It makes sense. Not much
  chance of a sequel." (Mike Hull)
* Doobie-ous Achievement Award: Firefighters battling a home
  blaze in L.A. found hundreds of marijuana plants. "Before
  dousing the fire, they ran their hoses through the swimming
  pool, creating the world's largest bong." (Jerry Perisho)
* Half-Nielsen: A TV cartoon with strobe effects sent 618
  Japanese children to hospitals with nausea, vomiting,
  irritated eyes and convulsions. "Erroneous police reports
  initially said the kids were watching 'The Tony Danza
  Show.' " (Bob Mills)
* Treasure Hunt: Geraldo Rivera signed a six-year deal with
  NBC News. "The good news for Geraldo: The pact is worth
  $30 million. The bad news: NBC says the money is in
  Al Capone's vault." (Jenny Church)

======================
RESEARCH
======================

ARCHIVES
Did you throw away that story?  Are you looking for a recipe?
Want to check into a company? Have a big term paper due?
You're in luck. The complete Times archives back to 1990
are available at < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ARCHIVES/?MAIL >.
Stories cost $1.50, or pay a monthly fee of $4.95 for 10 stories.
Pay with any major credit card using our secure server.

   (leave the body of the e-mail completely blank).
2) If you subscribed with a different address than the one
   you're currently at, put your old e-mail address in the
   body of the e-mail.  Don't include anything else.
3) If you continue to receive latte, send e-mail to lat.lists@latimes.com
   with the words "MANUAL UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject.

To SUBSCRIBE,
1) Go to < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/REGISTER/?MAIL
   (This is case sensitive.)
2) Register! (It's FREE, and lets you use Hunter and the
   Archives, Discussions and Crosswords, as well as Latte.)
3) At the bottom of the page, answer "YES" to the question
   "Would you like to receive..."

To CHANGE TO OR FROM HTML, OR TO CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS,
1) Go to < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/MEMBER/?MAIL >
   (This is case sensitive)
2) Select "Change Your Member Info"
3) At the bottom of the page, answer "HTML mail" to the question
   "Would you prefer to receive e-mail from us in regular
   or HTML format?"
4) Type your new e-mail address over your old one.

======================
SPONSORSHIP
======================

Did we mention 50x faster and 50% off installation?
Click to < http://www.latimes.com/mediaone-t > to find out
more about MediaOne Express or to sign up online.

ADMINISTRIVIA

To reach a real human, write to <feedback@latimes.com>.
Please include your e-mail address and L.A. Times member name
in the body of your message.

If you are interested in advertising on our Web site or in this
update, please write to <advertise@latimes.com>.

Copyright 1997 Los Angeles Times.  All Rights Reserved.
Please forward in entirety as appropriate.