No respect

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Celts get no respect from
the opposition?  Perhaps the other players don't want to admit they
don't like to be pressed, but most postgame comments are along the lines
of: "It wasn't so much what the Celtics did, it's that we a.) lost our
focus; b.)didn't capitalize on our chances; c.)were careless."  A team
commits 20+ turnovers vs. Boston, then won't give the Celts any credit
for forcing them into it.

What set me off now is that the media reflect this, as well.  Here's the
LA Times' take on Sunday's game (emphasis from me):

  Lakers' Effort Is Lacking in Defeat
  Pro basketball: Their four-game win streak comes to an end with
  ***embarrassing*** 108-102 loss to Celtics.
  By SCOTT HOWARD-COOPER, Times Staff Writer

  Maybe Nick Van Exel just buried his face in his left hand for a
  moment because the bright lights from a TV camera bothered him
after    he got poked in the eye in the second quarter.  Maybe.

  Or perhaps the team leader was showing the way again. It was,
  after all, how all the Lakers should have felt Sunday night,
  ***embarrassed*** after they not only lost to the Boston Celtics,
  108-102, but had their four-game winning streak snapped because
  of poor effort.

  But there was no place to hide. The Lakers had again been
  exposed before 17,505 at the Forum as a team that hasn't learned
  from previous mistakes of playing ***down to the level*** of its
  competition, and worse.  They handled the Celtic defensive
pressure,    but could not handle the ***lack of pressure that comes
with playing    the Celtics.***

The Celts are a .500 team.  They are not the 15-win group from last
year.  Yet around the league they are apparently still looked at as
nobodies.  This wouldn't bother me except that in the NBA marketing
world, image is everything.  Think it's a coincidence that the
superstars get the calls?  Think Pippen should be second in All-Star
voting, with Walker 6th?

In order to advance to the next level, the Celts must win respect as
well as games.  It's a chicken/egg situation, but getting the respect
often helps get more wins.  Antoine making the All-Star team would be a
start.

Mike Dynon