No Subject

Here is some interesting commentary from www.OnHoops.com:

"When you're a crap team, you lose to everyone, pretty much no matter what. When you're a great team, you beat everyone, pretty much no matter what. But in between these 2 extremes, you've got many levels, including the stage the Boston Celtics are currently at.

The C's are having a fantastic season. Pitino had us fooled when he plucked Walter McCarty from the Knicks, giving Boston a splendid young athletic frontcourt with McCarty and Antoine Walker, plus an exciting lottery pick backcourt in Billups and Mercer.

Boston are 10-12, which is fantastic, but because they're a young team, individually and collectively, they still have a long way to go. This is attested by the fact that on the road, they have the same amount of wins as Dallas and the Clippers.

At home, the Celtics are real tough, currently 8-6. This home-away disparity is typical of a young team on the way up. This bodes well for the future, as the franchise grows together to reach playoff status, then the 50-win plateau, and then, eventually contending for the title."

To echo Bob Ryan yesterday, who would have thought this team already would have 10 wins? Granted, the schedule has been friendly ... but unlike last year, we're actually beating the teams we should beat.

(And a quick word about last year: Pitino was saying not even he could have won with the roster ML had last year -- only 2 of those guys (Fox & Wesley) even still in the NBA. But let's not forget, it was the brilliant GM M.L. who saddled Coach M.L. with such dubious talent.)

I want to stand right up and apologize for doubting Pitino's talent evaluation. Bowen has been a stud and McCarty really is coming on. Knight has proven extremely valuable. I apologize for calling McCarty "trash" last summer when somebody suggested picking him up. The fact is, look at his stats next to Chris Mills' -- Walter's better in almost every category except FG %, and he's gradually bridged that gap too. (check out steals and blocks!)  Look at where the Knicks are -- underachieving -- and where we are now. And as lagniappe (a New Orleans word for 'a little something extra,'), we're getting decent production from Dontae Jones & John Thomas. Over 48 minutes, Dontae is averaging almost 14 points & 6 rebounds. If he improves his shooting %, he'll stick. Thomas is averaging 8 & 4 over 48 minutes - not bad for an undersized rookie PF. Bottom line: Rick Pitino is a GREAT coach and motivator.

   G  GS  MPG   FGM-A    FG%  3PM-A   3P%   FTM-A    FT%   RPG   APG   ST   BL   PTS   PPG

Chris Mills

 23   9  26.4   84-189  .444  9-40  .225    39-52  .750    4.7   2.0    12   7    216  9.4

Walter mcCarty

 22   21  29.8   88-214  .411  13-36  .361   64-80   .800   5.1   2.3    31   15   253  11.5

Dontae Jones

 6   0    8.0    7-26   .269   0-8   .000   0-0      -      1.0    .3     1    2    14   2.3

John Thomas

10   0   7.7     6-12   .500    0-0    -    2-2    1.000    1.2    .5      3    0    14   1.4

           Peter Delevett
            Staff Writer
     New Orleans CityBusiness
         pdelevett@nopg.com