Preview, Boston @ Toronto

My apologies to those who have been getting garbage instead
of JPEG files to view.  I thought I was sending material that
everyone could read and view.

I want to especially thank those who complained about the
garbage to let me know that I was doing the report in the
wrong way.

THERE ARE NO ATTATCHMENTS IN THIS REPORT.
and hopefully no garbage.
Steve Huffman

BOSTON CELTICS ON TV
------------------------------
Wednesday, December 17th

W1-14        SpChNE
DirectTV
PrimeSports

 *** Sports on Satellite from The Sports Network ***

(All Times Eastern)

Wednesday, December 17th
-----------------------

NBA on Satellite TV
-------------------------------
New York at Indiana, 7 p.m. - G6-21s
Miami at Washington, 7 p.m. - F1-24s, S3-23s
Boston at Toronto, 7 p.m. - W1-14s
Detroit at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. - W1-18s
Cleveland at Atlanta, 7:30 p.m. - W1-9s
Milwaukee at Charlotte, 7:30 p.m. - No scheduled television
Minnesota at Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m. - Land lines
LA Lakers at Chicago, 8 p.m. -F1-1s,   G5-6s,  **** TBS ****
Vancouver at San Antonio, 8:30 p.m. - F1-10s

Boston Celtics (10-12) at Toronto Raptors (2-21), 7 p.m.

The Celtics are 2-0 versus the Raptors this season. Boston downed
Toronto,  103-99  on  November  14  and  122-109  four days later. The
Celtics lead the all-time series, 8-2.

Boston has won three of its last four,  including  a  100-83
win over  Philadelphia  on  Monday.  Ron  Mercer had 20
points and Antoine Walker added 17 and eight rebounds.
The Celtics are 2-6  on  the  road this  season.  Rick  Pitino's
bunch is 9-10 against Eastern Conference teams and 5-5
versus the Central Division.

Toronto has lost two straight after picking up its second win  of
the  season  at  Philadelphia  a  week ago. Damon Stoudamire
scored 16 points and forked out 15 assists in  a  loss  to  Indiana
 on  Monday. Marcus  Camby  added  28 points in the seven-
point defeat. The Raptors are 1-10 in SkyDome, 1-13 versus the
Eastern Conference and 1-6 versus the Atlantic Division.

    from Sportsnetwork

NBA Preview (Boston-Toronto)

Boston (10-12) at Toronto (2-21) 7:00 pm EST

The Toronto Raptors, having ended one double-digit losing
streak last week, look to halt another when they go for their
first home win in 43 days tonight against the Boston Celtics.

Marcus Camby scored a season-high 28 points and Damon
Stoudamire added 16 and a season-best 15 assists on Monday
but the Raptors fell to the Indiana Pacers, 108-101, for their
19th loss in their last 20 games and their tenth straight at home.

Toronto has not won at SkyDome since its home opener and
have lost consecutive games since ending its 17-game losing
streak last Wednesday.

The Raptors must contain Boston's Antoine Walker, who
burned the Toronto for 22 points, 18 rebounds and five
assists in the Celtics' 103-99 victory last month.

Rookie Ron Mercer scored 10 of his 20 points in the decisive
third quarter as the Celtics stopped the Philadelphia 76ers,
100-83 on Monday.

The Celtics are hoping to end their four-game losing streak
on the road. Boston has won its last four games against the
Raptors, including a pair at the SkyDome.

Boston has won six of the eight meetings between the teams.

                   © 1997 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP

SOME INTERESTING COMMENTS FROM
BOSTON'S LAST GAME.......

NBA Recap (Philadelphia-Boston)

BOSTON 100, PHILADELPHIA 83

Rookie Ron Mercer scored 10 of his 20 points in the decisive
third quarter and the Boston Celtics registered their biggest
win of the season, 100-83 over the Philadelphia 76ers, who
were without starting point guard Allen Iverson.

Iverson, who is averaging a team-leading 21.4 points per
game this season, was benched, reportedly for missing a
practice in New York following the 76ers' loss to the Knicks
on Sunday. He had no comment on his whereabouts.

"Rules are for everyone," 76ers owner Pat Croce said after
the loss. "For me, it was like a father that doesn't want to
spank his son, but you have to. We hope this was the last time
Allen does this."

The 76ers had problems controlling the ball without him, as
the Celtics frenetic full-court press forced 29 turnovers which
were turned into 32 points. "The defense really picked it up in
the second half, we were relentless with our pressure," said
Celtics coach Rick Pitino. "Down there (in Philadelphia)
we pressed when Allen was out of the game. Tonight we got a
chance to use it a little more."

Mercer, who was not in the starting lineup due to his sub-par
play of late, got help from fellow University of Kentucky alumnus
Antoine Walker, who did not score in the final period but
finished with 17 points and eight rebounds.

"I think it (not starting) did motivate me," admitted Mercer.
"I know I didn't  Start for a reason. I need to work hard and
improve my game. He (replacement Bruce Bowen) played great.
I've learned a lot from him in all aspects of ther game."

"The whole game they could have beaten us by 50 if
they had kept pressing," stated Philadelphia coach Larry
Brown. "He (Pitino) was very kind to us. We just looked
scared to death."

                   © 1997 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP

CELTICS REPORT
Boston built its home winning streak to three
games with a 100-83 victory over the
Philadelphia 76ers on Monday. ... Coach Rick
Pitino took advantage of the absence of 76ers
G Allen Iverson and used all 12 players to
cause 29 turnovers with a stifling full-court
press. ... Rookie F Ron Mercer, in an unfamiliar
role off the bench, led with 20 points. ... The
17-point margin of victory was the largest since
routing the Spurs last January 8th, 107-83.

 © 1997 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP

TORONTO'S  PROBABLE STARTERS:

F    Marcus Camby
          Coming off season high of 28 points...Ranks
          3rd in the NBA in blocks with 3.13 bpg.

F    Oliver Miller
          Leads team in rebounds with 7.9 rpg...Started
          last seven games.

C     Zan Tabak
           Started last three games and 14 of 16 he's
           played...Last game was best of season with
           12 pts, 7 rebs and career-high 6 asts.

G    Doug Christie
           Returned to lineup after missing three games
           with sprained ankle...3rd on team in scoring,
           13.6 ppg.

G    Damon Stoudamire
           Leads team in scoring with 16.87
           ppg...Ranks 6th in NBA with 8.6 apg after
          setting season high of 15 vs. Pacers on  Monday.

TORONTO'S   INJURY REPORT:
Carlos Rogers - back strain; placed on injured list Dec. 8. He
is expected to return Jan. 1. Popeye Jones - has a complete
tear of the ACL in his left knee sustained Nov. 30; expected
to be out for the remainder of the season. Sharone Wright -
left arm and shoulder injuries sustained in July car accident;
out until March.

   © NBA Properties, Inc., and Starwave Corporation

NBA MATCHUPS      YEAR TO DATE
LAST 5 HOME OR AWAY        STREAKS
  WED, DEC 17    SU    ATS    OU      SU   ATS   PF-PA   OU
 5 CELTICS     10-12  14-8   11-11    1-4  2-3-0  99-106  4-1-0
 6 RAPTORS     2-21   8-12    9-8       0-5 2-2-0  88-94    1-1-0

AHEAD FOR THE CELTICS
Sun.,  Dec. 21,  LA Clippers   7:00 P.M.    WSBK
Tue.,  Dec. 23,  Charlotte        7:00 P.M.    SpChNE
Fri.,   Dec. 26, at San Antonio 8:30 P.M.   WSBK
Sun., Dec. 28, at LA Lakers    9:30 P.M.   WSBK
Tue., Dec. 30, at Phoenix        9:00 P.M.    WSBK