Re: Isaih's remarks

I have to comment on this matter too.  Coach Bird played as hard and well
up until the last days as anyone.  Look at the games against Indiana in the
playoffs (banged his head) and the overtime win over Portland (49 points)
in the last year, MOL.  What LB did as well as anyone, PERIOD, was make his
teammates better.

I to this day use his quote, regarding his playing style and that of his
teammates; "There is nothing I can't stand more than seeing a teamate
watching the ball go out of bounds".  I expect that the Pacers and the
Celtics will be rivaled by no one in years to come in the areas of hustle
and effort.

BTW, I went to the game on Wednesday night in Portland, when the Pacers
came from about 20 down to almost win the game.  It was most enjoyable to
see LB actions and body language as he coached the team backed into the
game, and to watch them then eventually lose to the late effort by the
Blazers.  It was a great game.  There were a few noted Celtics fans at the
game, a number of things yelled in encouragement and a few not, by fans
close to the Pacer bench.  The most noted thing about the game was LB's
comments after; "Maybe we didn't win because I wasn't on the court".  He
had been asked if he wished he could have been on the court at crunch time,
and could he have helped win the game.  He noted he had trust in his team
to pull it out, which they almost did, but as he said, partially in jest,
maybe the outcome would have been different, if he was in uniform.  Hard to
imagine him in anything but the Celtics green.  At least I have 2 must see
games in Portland each year now.

Greg