latte: What's Hot at LATimes.com 2.20

LATTE - What's Hot at LATimes.com.
Tuesday, December 5, 1997      Vol. 2, Issue 20
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/LATTE/?MAIL >

For the fastest Net connection in your home, MediaOne Express
is here. 50X faster. 50%off. http://www.latimes.com/mediaone-t

Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving. We've been busy here
preparing some of our year-end features. And check out some
of our helpful new services, including game scores e-mailed
to you directly.

======================
IN THIS ISSUE:
======================

WHAT'S NEW
 News - Go with our reporters to understand Orphans of Addiction.
 Sports - Game Tracker will help you follow your favorite teams.
 Weather - El Nino is on its way. Get coverage and historical info.
 Contest - Win free tickets to local shows and events.

BUSINESS
 Stocks - Follow hot and cold stocks, updated every day.
 Investment - Use our Mutual Fund Profiler to pick funds.
 Learning - The Business Academy teaches the financial basics.

ENTERTAINMENT
 Tickets - We offer discount prices available only online.
 MetaHollywood - Blue Sky studios brings Alien to life.
 Getty Museum - This monster museum opens Dec. 16. Take a peek.

FUN
 Punch Lines - Start your day with a good laugh (or a bad pun).
 Movie Reviews - Before you spend your money, check with us.

RESEARCH
 Archives - Miss a story? Look it up online.

======================
WHAT'S NEW
======================

NEWS
A writer and a photographer spent five months chronicling the
tortured lives of children living with drug addicts and alcoholics.
The conditions they uncovered are all too common in the United
States, which has a higher rate of drug abuse than any other
industrialized nation. < http://www.latimes.com/orphans/?MAIL >

SPORTS
Pick your favorite basketball team in Game Tracker, and we'll
e-mail you the scores of the games, or remind you when they've
got a match coming up. As a registered user, this service
is FREE. < http://www.latimes.com/gametracker/?MAIL >

EL NINO
The warm waters of El Nino are bound to make this a memorable
winter. Check here for explanations of this phenomenon and current
updates on its impact. < http://www.latimes.com/elnino/?MAIL >

CONTEST
Enter for a chance to win free tickets to local shows and events.
Simply select the prize that you really, really want to win and
complete the form. You must enter before Dec. 12.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ENT/TICKETS/discount.htm?MAIL >

======================
BUSINESS
======================

STOCKS
Study the stocks that have risen the most and fallen the most
over the last four weeks. The four-week trend can be a good
indicator of stocks that have strong momentum in either direction.
< http://www.latimes.com/hotcold/?MAIL >

INVESTMENT
Find the best-performing mutual funds of the past year at
< http://www.latimes.com/mutual/?MAIL > or use the Mutual Fund Explorer
to do a customized search for funds that meet your requirements.

LEARNING
Do you want to begin investing, but never learned the basics?
Want to purchase life insurance or start a business? For step-by-step
solutions, enter the Times' Business Academy.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/BUSINESS/BACAD/?MAIL >

======================
ENTERTAINMENT
======================

TICKETS
Looking for something to do tonight? Try this brand new service:
Tickets to the best of Southern California's live events, brought
to you from Ticketmaster, ETM and Advantix.
< http://www.latimes.com/tix/?MAIL >

METAHOLLYWOOD
Online gaming is investing in the latest technology. Will it pay
off? We went to the Online Games Conference & Expo to find the
answers, and you can read about it at
< http://www.latimes.com/metahollywood/?MAIL >

GETTY MUSEUM
There has never been anything quite like the Getty Center.
Scheduled to throw open its doors to the masses Dec. 16,
the $1-billion, 110-acre arts complex in Brentwood conforms
to no known model. Take a look inside at
< http://www.latimes.com/getty/?MAIL >
(This will be available on Monday, Dec. 8)

======================
FUN
======================

MOVIE REVIEWS
You can find the following movie reviews at
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ENT/MOVIES/SNEAK/?MAIL >.

o The Bible & Gun Club
o The Closest Thing to Heaven
o Cold Around the Heart
o The Hours and the Times
o Good Will Hunting
o Office Killer

PUNCH LINES
These jokes and more are available daily at
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ENT/LAUGHS/?MAIL >

* "Using DNA samples, the U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife
  discovered that much of what is sold as expensive beluga caviar
  is actually cheap fish eggs from Montana," says Bob Mills.
  "A full-scale investigation was launched when agents discovered
  McDonald's was using the same brand in its Caviar McNuggets."
* "President Clinton has dispatched two aircraft carriers, six B-52s
  and six stealth fighter bombers to the Persian Gulf. Saddam
  Hussein finally got the hint. He just sent a $500,000 check
  to the DNC." (Argus Hamilton)
* "Big news in the toy industry. Mattel is gonna remake Barbie,
  change her body for the '90s, make her with smaller breasts,"
  says Jay Leno. "I guess the new designers think this one should
  be able to stand up."

======================
RESEARCH
======================

ARCHIVES
Did you throw away that story?  Are you looking for a recipe?
Want to check into a company? Have a big term paper due?
You're in luck. The complete Times archives back to 1990
are available at < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/ARCHIVES/?MAIL >.
Stories cost $1.50, or pay a monthly fee of $4.95 for 10 stories.
Pay with any major credit card using our secure server.

   (leave the body of the e-mail completely blank).
2) If you subscribed with a different address than the one
   you're currently at, put your old e-mail address in the
   body of the e-mail.  Don't include anything else.
3) If you continue to receive latte, send e-mail to lat.lists@latimes.com
   with the words "MANUAL UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject.

To SUBSCRIBE,
1) Go to < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/REGISTER/?MAIL
   (This is case sensitive.)
2) Register! (It's FREE, and lets you use Hunter and the
   Archives, Discussions and Crosswords, as well as Latte.)
3) At the bottom of the page, answer "YES" to the question
   "Would you like to receive..."

To CHANGE TO OR FROM HTML, OR TO CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS,
1) Go to < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/MEMBER/?MAIL >
   (This is case sensitive)
2) Select "Change Your Member Info"
3) At the bottom of the page, answer "HTML mail" to the question
   "Would you prefer to receive e-mail from us in regular
   or HTML format?"
4) Type your new e-mail address over your old one.

======================
SPONSORSHIP
======================

Did we mention 50x faster and 50% off installation?
Click to < http://www.latimes.com/mediaone-t > to find out
more about MediaOne Express or to sign up online.

ADMINISTRIVIA

To reach a real human, write to <feedback@latimes.com>.
Please include your e-mail address and L.A. Times member name
in the body of your message.

If you are interested in advertising on our Web site or in this
update, please write to <advertise@latimes.com>.

Copyright 1997 Los Angeles Times.  All Rights Reserved.
Please forward in entirety as appropriate.