Height = talent

Yes, height is a part of talent, as my twisted words apparently
contradicted.  My reply was in response to the arguments that GS would be
crazy to trade Smith for Billups based on the fact Billups is not 6-10 and
Smith was a #1 overall pick.  The quote was something like "you don't
trade big for small" so you draft a Smith or a Sam Bowie ahead of an MJ.
:)  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Anyway, the question was raised (in a way that would imply my answer would
be a resounding no) whether I would trade Smith for Billups were I GS.
Billups, a mere #3 pick overall and a semi-tall pg, for Smith, a 6-10, #1
pick.  Yes, without considering the teams needs, I would swap 2 quick,
scoring players that were high round draft choices, that are talented
offensive players.  Both have struggled, Smith looks lost on defense
(everyone has career nights against him), Billups has struggled running
the offense.  Smith's contract runs out first, so Billups is better
cap-wise.  For the C's, Smith is a bad fit considering they desperately
need a pg and a power rebounder (and defense is big for Pitino).  So I
would only do the trade if Pitino knows for sure Billups is not the answer
for him at pg from our side (I'm not even gonna bother from GS's side
'cause frankly, I haven't paid attention and don't have a clue what they
need). I'd MUCH rather have Stoudamire than Smith. But if GS
insists on getting a 6-10+ former #1 pick for Smith, hey, give 'em Pervis.
He was a #1 pick, he'd make 'em happy. :)  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

John Wooden said it best when asked what he looked for when scouting
players.  It wasn't height, it was the quickest players AT THEIR
POSITIONS.  (Emphasis added and repeated by Wooden.)  So you don't have
Iverson playing center just because he's quicker than anyone else, but if
you find a 7 footer that's quick and has skills, you're in luck.  Yes
height is part of talent, but I think Joe Smith's talent is way overhyped.
He's like a revolving door on defense, and he is NOT and I'll bet never
will be a huge rebounding machine (although he's quick and talented, so
he'll probably never be a stiff, just not necessarily great). So Billups
isn't such a bad return for GS.  Not great, but it's not great for us
either.  Smith is not one of the
better #1's to come out, and I still agree Duncan would have been drafted
#1 had he come out that year (making Smith a less valuable player because
he was a #2???)  Draft position only means one thing, all the teams that
drafted ahead of someone that turns out to be a steal get accused of
shoulda's and coulda's.

One more comment on the height thing.  I do agree you don't trade a
talented player at a position that's lacking the overall NBA for a player
position that's more available.  In my opinion, shooting guards/swingmen
in the mid-six foot range is the most available player type today (MJ's
influence????), so they have to be really good to be valuable (hopefully
Mercer).

Phew, way too talkative on Mondays.  Sorry.

- -Jamey