Re: Billups et al

John Lyell wrote:

> On Sunday, November 30, 1997 1:36 PM, Warwick Janetzki
> [SMTP:giants@icplus.net.au] wrote:
> > John Lyell wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually that really means little.  Where was Walker chosen ?  Where
> was
> > > Joe Smith chosen ?  Which has been more productive and seems to have
> more
> > > talent  ?
> > >
> > > Where was Sam Bowie chosen ?  Where was Michael Jordan chosen ?  Enough
> > > said.
> > >
> > All top 10 picks. Nash was chosen in the teens, in what was considered a
> > pretty untalented draft *apart from the top 7 or 8*
> >
> > Bowie was drafted due to need not skill. Portland already had Clyde
> > Drexler, they had no need for MJ, although now you can say that they
> > should have picked MJ *as we all know they should have*
> >
> > So in effect it does say something.
> >
> > Warwick
> >

> "Draft for need" wasn't that the Celtics excuse for the Eric Willaims, Dee
> Brown, Eric Montross, & Acie Earl selections ?
>
> If the Celtics had a center like San Antonio and had the #1 pick, would
> they have pased on Duncan ?  The pre-Pitino regime probably would have
> knowing their history of poor selections.

Agreed. Just goes to show that some teams managers pick for need and not
skill. Duncan is doing fine at 4 for the Spurs and doesn't look out of
place not being in the middle 100% of the time. In reality he was a real
center in college only, but in the NBA his size and athleticism makes
him an ideal 4/5 like Alonzo Mourning.

Warwick

- --
MZ