Re: Outlook

> We have spent in the neighbohood of 8.5 million dollars cap room this
year (which would have been a total of 94 million over 7 years with
raises).
> With this sort of money, we could have easily had the best players
available.... Brian Grant, Brian Williams, Sam Cassell, David Wesley.
Instead,   we have tied up to reasonably long term contracts the likes of
> Travis Knight, Tyus Edney, Chris Mills, Andrew Declerc, Bruce Bowen, and
Tony Massenburg.  I question weather this group is better than the
collection of Rick Fox, David Wessley, Dino Radja, Marty Conlon, and Eric
> Williams that was let go.  But more than this, I question why Rick Pitino
has continues to make quick, almost in panic, free agent signings when the
rest of the league is content to wait, conserve their money, and get better
talent for the money (then again this is the same man who wanted to
> trade our future for Luc Longley and Scottie Pippen - and the report is
that Pippen might be much more seriously injured than originally thought.)

We will have to wait and see.  I like the outlook of the new team a lot
better than the old, and if he can move Ellison, Brown, Barros and or Minor
I would be ecstatic, but if they play up to their potential I could live
with that also. The Celtics are paying Pitino the big bucks to make the
talent evaluation decisions.  Other than the Scottie Pippen idea & maybe
the Knight deal I like all the other moves.  We have a hell of a lot more
versatility than last year.  The length of the contracts has not been
comforting, but if they really excel he will look like a genius.  I don't
think he is through, I really think Minor & Brown will be gone and I see
35-40 wins as definitely achievable if Billups and Mercer can adjust to the
pro game quickly.  If not 25-35 is probably where we will land, but still a
big improvement over last year.

As for Grant, Williams, Cassell, and Wesley with the exception of Cassell I
think they are all overpaid.  Grant is coming off a major shoulder injury,
Williams a knee,  and is still out of shape, and Wesley decent but not
worth $4M a year.

Eric Williams had great inside moves, but nothing else.  Rick took a look
and did not like what he saw, and was not willing to give him the $4M he
will want next year so cleared room and got Mills who can shoot & play D at
the 3 spot.

We have not given anyone over $4M a year which is beginning to look low in
the NBA, and I think Pitino wants to make sure he can resign Walker, Mercer
& Billups in the next 4 years.