The trade

                      The trade                                    8/22/97

No matter who we sign as a free agent, I'm inclined to think it will be Cliff
Robinson or Brian Grant, we should have gotten more for Eric (or at least
gotten rid of some deadwood).  The globe mentioned that we might go after
Chris Mills.  But that would be insane.  You don't clear up cap space by
sacrificing good young players to go after someone of Chris Mills' caliber.

Eric had 1 year left at less than $1M.  This could have been avoided if Pitino
had planned things out better.  Knight, DeClerq, Massenburg, and Bowen take up
about $4.5M on this year's cap.  So he definitely could have made this free
agent signing to be without giving away Eric.

As far as Dee Brown goes, I'm happy to see people standing up for him.  I
don't expect other fans to forget his trade demands of two years ago, but at
least forgive him and try to understand where he was coming from.  I think
Pitino's praise is genuine (not an attempt to increase his trade value) and is
an attempt to restore Dee's popularity.  I expect him to have a big season.

Another concern I have about the trade is that Pitino didn't try to get
maximum value for Eric.  Actually I already expressed that to some extent.  I
think he could have squeezed a lottery protected first rounder (not
necessarily in '98) out of some team, if he just made the effort.  He or
Wallace admitted in the article that they pulled the trigger very quickly on
this deal.  Unless this alleged free agent is signed today, that was quite
stupid.

Pitino seems to be waaaaaaay to impulsive to be in charge of basketball
operations.

Jeremy