Note to All: I very seldom read the Digest any more because it is very
boring to have to poke through 8 renditions of the same story. Would you
please learn how to delete all the old redundancies before replying to
the mail. (It's very easy - when you go to Remail, just click on the
text you don't want, which turns the area blue and hit enter - it's
gone).

Comment:

Celtics management has been pitiful for years. Gaston obviously couldn't
manage a dogfight, much less a major franchise.  And *HE* is
responsible, not the people he hired. I liked M.L.Carr as a player and
think he is a good person...just doesn't have the gifts needed. Not many
do. The best of the newbies - my vote goes to Kevin McHale. Larry Bird ?
Dunno yet, but certainly no one knows all aspects of the game better.
Does that matter? Look at the Bulls. Their 'Boss' is a fat, sleazy
looking total non-athlete, but he has done THE JOB RIGHT! Jerry West
obviously has done THE JOB RIGHT!  You need REAL STARS to win, good
players are a dime a dozen. You can always pick up a Day, Barros, Minor,
Fox etc. etc as the needed 6,7,8 spear carriers ... and cheap, but to
win you HAVE To have REAL STARS.  And lots of them! Why can't the Knicks
win? Not enough stars. Why do the Bulls win? (3) Stars. Why did the
Celtics win? (3) Stars. Why did the Lakers win? (3) Stars. McHale has
almost got the three stars.  Marbury for Dennis Johnson, Tom Gugliotta
for Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett for Kevin McHale. Now just the really
good players (not stars, but not journeyman) at Center and Shooting
Guard (his Parish and Ainge) and he will be a winner!

We don't even have *1* star yet - but Walker could turn out to be one
with proper coaching (hope he gets it). We don't even have any REALLY
GOOD players....all the rest are journeymen.  That's management's fault
and Gaston hires the management. I think our only hope is that someone
with management skills buys the Celtics. Until then, it's apparently a
doomed franchise.