Re: This "OPIE" business..

J. Mark Estepp wrote:

> Paul M wrote...
> >>Did everyone catch this from the Globe this morning. It's Bird talking
> >>about missing pre-draft camps.
> >>
> >>``I told M.L. in March that I wouldn't be at Phoenix because I had
> >>something else. But if I'd known [Austin] Croshere [of Providence] was
> >>going to be there, I might have gone. I like to watch him play.''
> >>
> >>Oh Lord, I'm scared. Please tell me Opie's not picking this guy at #6. I'm
> >>telling you...that's the second time he's mentioned him. The first was to
> >>say that Croshere was better than Van Horn. Oh God..be afraid...be very
> >>afraid. Where's Andy?...Opie's gonna do somethin bad.
> >>

> >>Paul M.
>
> I for one don't like this thread of calling Bird "Opie"  The guy is not even
> officially in charge of anything, and already pot shots are being taken.  IF
> Bird becomes GM, and IF he makes mistake after mistake, then some critizism
> could be justified.  But this opie business (a reference I guess to Bird's
> country roots?) is out of line.
>
> Mark Estepp                             704 262 3111
> Appalachian State University            704 262 2088 (fax)
> Esteppjm@AppState.edu
Mark:

I disagree, while I do not call Larry Bird Opie, he does kind of look
like Ron Howard.  And, it is genuinely funny too.

That's what opinions are for. To me, Bird was just another of the 5 or 6
best players to ever play the game.  [I would rate Wilt as the greatest
athelete, Russell as the greatest defensive player and competitor, and
on the next level would deposit Bird, Jordan, and Magic.  Jerry West
might deserve to be on this level, so I say 5 or 6.]  But, that and a
dollar will get him a cup of coffee.  He is no saint to be revered.  He
is just another person and subject to being poked at.  Besides, it
really is funny!

I guess ML would be Barney?  And the question is did Andy give Barney
any bullets?

This could be good.  Floyd = Dave Gavitt; Tom Heinshon = Aunt Bea; Bob
Cousy = Howard; Red =  well, only Red.  Red and Bill Russell are my
sacred cows.  Now, don't say nothing bad about them that ain't true!
:-)
- --
Peace,

Bentz