No Subject

Mr. Ozersky:
Where have you been? Celtics Monthly is the OFFICIAL MAGAZINE OF THE BOSTON
CELTICS. Have you ever read FastBreak, Rip City, Hawk Talk, or any of the
other official team publications in the NBA? If you want team public
relations, take a look at those magazines, and then reread CM. You'll see
that, as a team publication, we are far more "arms length" than any other.
     That having been said, we are talking about a team that, at this
writing, is 13-64 and having its worst season ever, by far. Should we be
telling you, a sophisticated fan, how bad the team is? Doesn't the record
tell you that? Don't you get enough of that reading Peter May and Mike
Holley? What purpose would be served by writing articles dripping with
sarcasm about a team that is down, even if we weren't the OFFICIAL MAGAZINE
of the Celtics? Like the vast majority of our readers, who are fans, we want
to know what positives can be found and what can be built upon for the
future. We have unusually good access to people around the league who can
help us to formulate our own opinions about these things, which may differ
from those of the Celtics-but the Celtics, to their credit, don't object to
our voicing these opinions in their OFFICIAL MAGAZINE.
     Unlike you, a large percentage of our readers do not get the Boston
Globe and the Boston Herald, since they are from out of state or even out of
the country. We have to provide them with basic information that you may
already know about. With all the other publications and services you
subscribe to, you would appear to be unusually well informed, but we must
deal with a broader audience.
   Dean Laux