Coaches

  In my opinion, there are only three acceptable coach/GM tandems for
next season. They are (in my personal order of preference):

1) Pitino-coach, Bird-GM
2) Pitino-coach/GM
3) Dennis Johnson-coach, Bird-GM
4) M.L.-coach/GM

  Here is my reasoning. I would love to see Pitino as coach, because he
has proven himself to be a winner at the college level at Kentucky and
Providence, and he has head coaching experience in the NBA from which he
can learn. I would rather see separate people at GM and coach, because in
this day and age it is very hard to handle both (witness Dunleavy, Nelson,
Bickerstaff, etc...). You have to be a very special person ala Riley or
Auerbach to be able to do both jobs effectively. I believe that Bird has a
lot to offer in terms of talent evaluation, but I wouldn't put him in
charge of everything, either. If Pitino doesn't want the job, I would give
it to DJ with Bird as the GM. As a last resort, I would let M.L. stay on
for another year if only to assure us of getting another plum draft pick
in 1998.
  As for current/former coaches out there, I don't think that any of them
are viable alternatives. Chuck Daly is going to be courted heavily by the
Magic, and I think he likes his TV job. Phil Jackson will probably take
time off if he doesn't return to the Bulls next year, and I don't think
either of them has the patience to undertake such a large rebuilding
project like the Celtics. Other coaches like Westphal, Brown, St. Jean,
etc... don't appear to have the ability to create a contender, or haven't
shown it yet. Anyway, that's just my humble opinion.

- -Jeremy

> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:03:02 +0800
> From: Jaime <jaims@philonline.com.ph>
> Subject: Chuck Daly
<snip>
> Talks about Pitino comin' over to coach are just too tiring and they are
> all just rumors.  Is Chuck Daly a possible prospect?  Is St. Jean a
> prospect?  Is PHIL JACKSON a prospect?  Why can't we just look around
> and inside the big league first before looking outside(college) for long
> term defense oriented coach.  Personaly, I prefer courting Chuck Daly to
> come back and coach the Celtics back to greatness.  Did he ever say not
> goin back ever again to coach?  He just needs more persuasion I guess.
<snip>